Enjoy this month’s favorite bird in a new and different way in this special dish created by Bacco Ristorante Chef Raffaella Barsiola.
Rotolo di Tacchino (Turkey roll with white wine and fine herbs)
- 2 lbs skinless turkey breast (as your butcher to slice the breast “open like a book”)
- 1 cup chopped cooked spinach, well drained
- 1/2 pound sliced ham
- 1/2 pound sliced mortadella (fine Italian sausage)
- 1 sprig of rosemary (or thyme, your preference)
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup Olive oil
- 1/2 white wine (add if needed)
- 1 Tablespoon chicken broth
- Salt, pepper, and the herbs of your choice
- Butcher’s twine
Preparation: (30 minutes)
- Oven Temperature: 450 F
- While boiling the spinach in salted water begin whisking the eggs for the frittata.
- Sauté the onion in olive oil and add the eggs.
- Add well-drained spinach and cook for a few minutes
- When the bottom of the frittata is set, flip it like an omelet and cook the other side, then set aside.
- Put the sliced turkey breasts on a cutting board and make a horizontal cut almost all the way through it, about 3/4 inches from the base. Open the breast like a book; gently pound it with a smooth meat mallet or the flat of your knife to make it as thin as possible
- Lay the frittata over the sliced turkey breast
- Place meats on top and season to taste add pepper and chopped herbs.
- Roll the breast pieces and tie with butcher’s twine so it resembles a salami
Brown the turkey roll in a pan until golden brown all around.
Add white wine, garlic, rosemary and 1 tablespoon chicken broth.
Place into cooking pan into preheated oven for about 45 minutes. Add water if necessary
Spoon pan drippings over roll and serve.
Bacco co-owner Loris Barsiola recommends the following wines with Rotolo di Tacchino
Provenza Lugana d.o.c. 2009/Italy (white)
Spy Valley Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough 2009/New Zealand (white)
Provenza Chiaretto Garda d.o.c. 2009 Classico/Italy (rosé)
Ca’ Montebello Pinot Nero Riserva 2007/Italy (red)
Chateau du Trignon Cotes-du-Rhone 2007/France (red)
Celebrating their tenth anniversary this month
4100 Wickham Road #103, Melbourne
Open Tuesday-Saturday starting at 5:30 p.m.